Wednesday, August 21, 2013

2013 TBR Challenge - The Bookseller's Daughter

The Bookseller's Daughter, by Pam Rosenthal.


This month's theme for my romance TBR challenge is Steamy Reads, so I chose this erotic historical romance. It's an unusual romance on many levels, starting with its setting--France in 1783-84. The hero is an aristocrat, the heroine a bookseller's daughter (of course) turned servant in the hero's family home after her father's death left her penniless. The writing is lush and dreamy, with a tangible fairytale mood of "once upon a time"...and yet you're never allowed to forget the gathering storm of the Revolution just over the horizon. I'm very glad I read this book for its sheer uniqueness even though I'm normally a fan of a sparer writing style.

I feel like I should be saying more, but the above is what it came down to for me. It's lush. Evocative. The setting is off the historical romance beaten path, which is always a plus for me. And it's available now as a reasonably priced ebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment