Saturday, August 24, 2013

Random Cookbook of the Week: Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood

This week I cooked from the newest of my cookbooks, Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood. The second oldest of my brothers and his family live in Yearwood's hometown in Georgia, and my niece gave me an autographed copy of this cookbook when I visited the family after RWA.

When I drew this cookbook I gravitated to the dessert section, as is my habit with the Southern cookbooks in my collection. In my experience, aside from fried chicken, buttermilk biscuits, and barbecue, the sweet stuff is what my people do best. And since I'm always curious about quirky ingredient combinations, I decided to try...



Sweet and Saltines

- 35-45 saltine crackers (enough to cover a standard cookie sheet)
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter
- 1 c. light brown sugar
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/3 c.)

Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil and the saltines.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour over the crackers, covering them evenly. Put in the oven and bake for 4-5 minutes or until just bubbly, watching carefully.

Remove from the oven and pour the chocolate chips over the crackers. When the chips melt a bit, spread them over the crackers with a knife. Let cool until cookie sheet is cool enough to touch and transfer the pan to the freezer for 15-20 minutes or until completely cold.

Break solidified candy into pieces and store in an airtight container.

This particular quirky ingredient combination? It works. It has crunch, salt, and chocolate, and it's sweet without being too sweet. It's far too large a batch for my little family of three to eat before the crackers go stale (especially since Miss Fraser thought it too salty and Mr. Fraser and I are both on Weight Watchers--he's lost 73 lbs. since December 1 and I've lost 42). I took it in to work the next day and my coworkers made quick work of it, so I'm making up another batch next week for the annual department picnic.

Next up is Ad Hoc at Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment