Sunday, May 1, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday - more Wolf & Huntress

Since y'all liked last week's excerpt from my historical fantasy WIP, Wolf & Huntress, so much, I figured I'd give you a little more from the first chapter. Cass Macdonald, our heroine and point-of-view character, is being forcibly restrained from going to her sister's aid in a fight. As I mentioned last week, she's just discovered she can hear werewolf telepathy, though she has no idea such a thing should be possible (it's an extremely rare ability in this world, maybe one or two people per generation) and doesn't understand why she has such a strong sense of this particular enemy's intentions:

-----

Mary’s head rolled to the side, and for a second the sisters’ eyes met. Then the light of life died, and Mary’s eyes went still and empty as glass.

The wolf raised his head, dripping with gore. Your turn.

Cass swallowed down her grief and shock, breathing hard. Revenge first, then mourning.

-----

Comments and feedback always appreciated, and be sure to check out other authors' contributions.

28 comments:

  1. This is very interesting. It leaves me with a lot of questions and I'll have to come back to find the answers. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Intriguing and suspenseful. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. Spare, but conveys everything it needs to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a challenge she is up to- great 6
    Dawne P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the whole premise and I can't wait to read more next week. Great 6.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the dark influence. That she can hear her enemy's thoghts, is a great touch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear! I actually brought a hand upon my stomach when reading this, so much it was vivid. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the six. Go get them Cass

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great six! You didn't need to give tons of gory details to paint a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great six. I always love to see how death is portrayed vividly and simply!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the simple impact of these lines. Revenge, then mourning is the right sequence!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great six! I have a feeling that wolf will wish he didn't mess with Cass.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a very powerful six. I also really like her determination in the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just hoping you keep sharing six sentences from this book every week. You've got my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The intensity is fantastic. I want to go kick someone's ass now for her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very intriguing! Leaves me with that sitting on the edge of my seat feeling. Wishing I could turn the page and find out what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, chilling! I want to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like "light of life died." Very descriptive. I'm enjoying your six sentences every week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice and leaves tons of questions!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Made me feel sad for her. I hope she gets revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really, really powerful six! So intense. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That wolf is going to be looking for his teeth in about ten seconds. Her sister died and he's threatening her? I hope she keeps his skin as a rug.

    Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's horrible. Good writing (as always) but gut wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a horrible situation. I hope she gets her revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree, this leaves a lot of questions! Can't wait to turn the page. HURRY SUNDAY!

    ReplyDelete