Thursday, January 13, 2011

Buy and Read Challenge: Cordelia's Honor

One of my resolutions for 2011 was to buy at least one leisure reading book per month, and to READ at least one book purchased in 2011 each month.

I started out with Cordelia's Honor, another entry in Lois McMaster Bujold's masterly Vorkosigan series. I've already gushed about them at length, so I'll just say that this volume is an excellent entry point for newbies to the series. It's an omnibus of two prequel novels, Shards of Honor and Barrayar, about the meeting and early marriage of Aral Vorkosigan and Cordelia Naismith, parents of the series' main character, Miles Vorkosigan.

OK, I'll say a little more. As much as I enjoy Miles, it's Aral who is my latest Fictional Secret Boyfriend. They're both intelligent, decent men who serve causes larger than themselves. But where Miles is mercurial and a master manipulator (because that's the only way someone with his physical limitations can succeed in his world--I don't blame him for being sort of the good-intentioned Napoleon of the Wormhole Nexus), Aral is all steady and stalwart and kinda taciturn but with desert-dry wit. Hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment