Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Weekly reading, 8/1/12

My initial goal of reading 75 books in 2012 is in sight--and since it's only August, I think I'm going to expand and shoot for 100 books by December 31.

63) A political book which shall not be named. I happen to have strong political opinions, but I keep them off this blog. Any comments on the topic will be deleted even if I agree with them. There are plenty of other places for that.

64) My Fair Concubine, by Jeannie Lin. I appreciate the unusual setting (Tang Dynasty China) of Lin's historical romances, and this riff on My Fair Lady is my favorite of her books to date.

65) Falling Free, by Lois McMaster Bujold. This isn't Bujold's greatest book by any means, but her lesser works are better than 95% of authors' best works, IMO. It's a Vorkosigan prequel, set some 200 years before the main series, and an origin story for the genetically engineered four-armed freefall-dwelling quaddies who make occasional appearances in the series. I was surprised how hooked I got without Barrayar or the Vorkosigan family to draw me in. Still, if you haven't read the series, I'd recommend starting with Cordelia's Honor or Young Miles.

66) The Wives of Bowie Stone, by Maggie Osborne. Bowie Stone is the most heroic and sympathetic bigamist you'll ever encounter, and this gritty, emotional Western historical is a treat, even if I thought the main heroine's Indian and black servants were a trifle too stereotypical examples of Wise Brown People.

No comments:

Post a Comment