Sunday, August 21, 2011

Saturday cooking, 8-20-11

No pictures with this week's Saturday cooking post. I took them, but my iPhone died this morning. The Apple Store replaced it, since it was still under warranty, but there was nothing I could do about restoring anything I'd done after the last time I synched the phone earlier this month.

It got up to 85 yesterday, which in Seattle passes for a heat wave, so I cooked on the grill again. I chose a recipe for grilled steak with tomatoes and scallions from an old issue of Everyday Food. Very simple--just flat-iron steaks, seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked on high for 4 minutes on each side, along with cherry tomatoes and scallions cooked at the same time in a grill basket, then seasoned with balsamic vinegar. My only change was adding a handful of chanterelle mushrooms picked up at the farmers market that morning.

It was pretty good. Neither Mr. Fraser nor I loved the grilled vegetables, though I liked the flavor of the chanterelles and scallions. For dessert we had angel food cake (bought at the store--I'm not that much of a baker and no way was I going to add heat to our AC-less kitchen to bake a cake), topped with a mix of strawberries and blackberries from the farmers market. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment