Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Wednesday Recipe - Shakshuka

Second week of Lent, and it's time for my second vegetarian recipe of the week, from a really lovely cookbook called Breakfast for Dinner. It's a traditional Middle Eastern dish featuring eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce, and it's my favorite kind of recipe--quick, fairly easy, but hearty and popping with flavor



Shakshuka
3-4 servings

- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 med. yellow onion, chopped
- 2 mild peppers (such as Anaheim), seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1/2 c. vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 medium or large eggs (as you can see, I only use 4, because my daughter doesn't like eggs and my husband and I can only eat so many at a sitting)
- 2 T chopped flat-leap parsley
- 1/4 c crumbled feta cheese
- Warm pita bread or baguette, for serving (so far I've used baguettes)

1. In a large, deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers, and jalapeno and cook until softened and beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juice, vegetable broth, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Lower heat and simmer 20-22 minutes, or until thickened.

2. Crack eggs on top of the sauce, cover, and cook 6-8 minutes, or until whites are set and yolks are thick but runny. Sprinkle parsley and feta cheese over top and serve with warm bread.

(One step I do differently is I crack each egg into a sauce or small ramekin before adding to the sauce. That way I can make sure the eggs are good, fish out any shell bits that get in, and add them to the poaching liquid quickly enough that they're evenly done. But if I didn't own a dishwasher I wouldn't bother, since that would mean an extra dish to hand wash for each egg, the odds of a bad egg are fairly low, it's not like a tiny bit of eggshell will hurt you, and all I'd have to do is remember which egg went in first and feed it to my husband, who likes his eggs well-cooked, and take the last one for myself since the runnier the yolk is the happier I am.)

No comments:

Post a Comment