Monday, June 11, 2012

Recipe troubleshooting

One of the tastiest recipes I've ever attempted is Alton Brown's Pork Wellington from Good Eats.  It has pork tenderloin, prosciutto, apples to give it a bit of sweetness, all wrapped up in puff pastry.  What's not to love?  I want to use it as the main dish at a dinner party I'm throwing next weekend.

Only there's a slight problem.  Every time I make it, when I slice it, it doesn't come out in neat, cohesive rings like it's supposed to.  The pastry just kind of falls off and falls apart, all soupy and sloppy, and while it still tastes wonderful, it doesn't look like Good Eats.  And, dang it, if I'm serving it to someone besides the three of us here at House Fraser, I want an elegant presentation.

So...what am I doing wrong?  I've tried to follow the recipe as exactly as I can.  Mr. Fraser thinks it might help to cook it on a rack instead of directly on a parchment-lined sheet pan.  Or could I be overrolling the pastry?  It does come out pretty flat, not puffy at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment