Sunday, January 20, 2013

2013 Reading - Books 7-9

Three more books--two YA and the beginning of my Rita judging:

7) Julie's Wolf Pack

Third in Jean Craighead George's beautiful YA series about a young Inuit girl who finds refuge among a wolf pack and keeps ties with them even after being reunited with her family, this one is almost all from the POV of the wolves themselves, and it works surprisingly well. She doesn't quite anthropomorphize them but still makes them extremely relatable, somehow.


8) Team Human, by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan.

I was a huge fan of Buffy and Angel back in the day, but all the vampire stories from the last ten years or so haven't appealed so much. But I'm glad I read this book--it's a smart, suspenseful, and fun YA, and a little bit thought-provoking, too.

9) Book Which Shall Not Be Named, #1.

Again this year I'm judging Romance Writers of America's Rita contest. Over the next month or so, I will be reading four books whose details I'm not allowed to discuss because judging must be kept confidential. So all I'll say about this one was I found it a bit of a slog, and I hope the next three will prove more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment