Sunday, April 8, 2012

52 Cookbooks - Week 23, Just Chocolate Cookbook

This week for Easter I drew a Christmas cookbook, the Christmas at Home Just Chocolate Cookbook, which I got as a stocking stuffer a couple years back.

Not being in the mood for Christmassy cookies or cakes, I turned to the breakfast section at the very back. I rejected pumpkin and banana breads with chocolate chips as things I already make all the time and tried my hand at this:

Chocolate Apple Bread

1 c and 2 tsp sugar, divided
3/4 tsp cinnamon, divided
3/4 c walnuts, finely chopped and divided
2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 T buttermilk
2 c apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
1 c semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, combine 2 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 c walnuts; set aside. In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, remaining cinnamon, and nutmeg, set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar together; add eggs and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture and buttermilk. Fold in apples, remaining walnuts, and chocolate chips. Pour mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with the sugar, cinnamon, and walnut mixture. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan.


I cooked it for more like 75 minutes, since when I tested for doneness at 1 hour it was still runny. It came out like this:


Apples and chocolate may sound like a strange combo, but this made for a tasty Easter breakfast and a worthy addition to my cookbook repertoire.

2 comments:

  1. Saved that one to my recipes file. I'll try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete