Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Books read, week of 9/4

Finally made it to 75 on the year! Next goal, 100 by December 31.

75) 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created, by Charles C. Mann. A wide-ranging, anecdotal, and fascinating look at how our modern globalized world came to be. It's at once an often-appalling tale of environmental degradation and an inspiring look at human resilience and inventiveness. And now I want to go back and read 1491.

76) Some Like It Hot, by Louisa Edwards. Second in a trilogy about a team of chefs in a fictional cooking competition. It didn't have quite the same resonance for me as the first book, Too Hot to Touch, but I liked it a lot. I'm rarely a fan of small-town contemporary romances, so I love that Edwards bucks the trend and writes books that are love letters to city life. And since good food is one of my favorite splurges and I love shows like Chopped and Iron Chef, these books are even more up my alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment